Despite only losing 1lb last week I am really starting to enjoy the 5:2 diet and almost find myself looking forward to fast days. Weird eh?
Today’s recipe has been a huge hit with both me and Mr B and last night we actually found ourselves getting quite full before we had even finished.
I found this one on a really useful 5:2 app that I have been using which you can find here.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breasts, halved lengthways
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground ginger…I used chopped fresh ginger instead
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 250g baby spinach leaves
- 300g chopped tomatoes
- 150ml low fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- In a large dish heat oil and fry chicken, garlic and green chilli for five minutes or until chicken starts to brown and onions soften.
- Add cardamom, cumin, chilli flakes, ginger and turmeric and fry for a further minute coating all of the chicken and onions.
- Add the spinach leaves and cover the dish, cooking gently until the spinach wilts. Then add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked throughout, removing the lid for the last 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the yoghurt and coriander to serve.
This recipe makes 4 servings and each serving contains just 205 calories! I served ours with a 30g (dry weight) portion of boiled basmati rice each bringing total calories to 312 per person.
If you want to freeze the remaining portions I would recommend removing the required amount before stirring in the yoghurt and adding this when required.
You can find a while load of great 5:2 recipes on this wonderful pinterest board here.