I took W to the park earlier today and on passing a couple of gossiping girls I caught the unmistakeable whiff of Jean Paul Gaultier La Femme.
I was instantly transported back to my sixteen year old self. Young, confident, vibrant and hopelessly in love with a wrong ‘un.
It was amazing the rush, and strength, of emotions and memories brought about by a simple quick smell of a perfume that I used to wear. It got me thinking. I guess we all relate certain smells with certain memories or feelings.
Here are some of mine…
- Chanel No. 5, my wedding day.
- Tom Ford Leather, Mr B.
- Cut grass, spring.
- Cinnamon, Christmas.
- Boiled cabbage, my Granny Peg.
- Furniture polish, my first job.
- Rive Gauche perfume, my Mum.
- Stale pipe smoke and polos, my favorite (Eng Lit) school teacher, Mr Rosewall
I am sure there are many, many more.
How about you? Which smells send you back in time? Let me know.