The following recipe is perfect for fitness fanatics, those trying to eat clean and those following the 5:2 diet.
It is really easy to prepare and also freezes really well so perfect for batch cooking for weekday meals.
It is also really tasty!
- 800g lean turkey mince
- 4 sprays Fry light oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 chile, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chile powder
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g kidney beans (canned), rinsed and drained
- 4 dashes hot sauce...or as many as you like!
- In a large casserole dish gently fry the onion until soft and golden.
- Add the turkey mince and heat gently until browned.
- Stir in the chopped peppers and heat gently for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl mix together the fresh chile, chile powder, malt vinegar, sugar and tomato puree to a smooth paste.
- Stir this into the casserole.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and season.
- Leave to simmer, covered, over a low heat for 40 minutes.
- Finally stir in the kidney beans and a few dashes of hot sauce and simmer for a further 10 minutes before serving in warm bowls.
- On it's own this is a great low fat meal and perfect for those following the 5:2 diet or eating clean.
- It is great on it's own or could be served with a dollop of low fat creme fraiche and/or a small serving of brown rice if required.
- If you're not counting calories a bit of grated cheese on top is also a great addition.